- Nanotechnology 101
- Nanotechnology and You
- About the NNI
- What is the NNI?
- The NSET Subcommittee
- NSET's Participating Federal Partners
- Working Groups
- National Nanotechnology Coordination Office (NNCO)
- Contact Information
- Collaborations and Funding
- Nanotechnology Signature Initiatives
- Federal Funding & Infrastructure
- Business Development
- Publications and Resources
Read the NNI Strategic Plan
The vision of the National Nanotechnology Initiative (NNI) is a future in which the ability to understand and control matter at the nanoscale leads to a revolution in technology and industry that benefits society.
The NNI expedites the discovery, development and deployment of nanoscale science and technology to serve the public good, through a program of coordinated research and development aligned with the missions of the participating agencies. These agencies work to fulfill the NNI vision by working together to accomplish four primary goals; please note that each of the following goals is linked to a page detailing each goal's objectives:
- To advance world-class nanotechnology research and development;
- To foster the transfer of new technologies into products for commercial and public benefit;
- To develop and sustain educational resources, a skilled workforce and the supporting infrastructure and tools to advance nanotechnology;
- To support the responsible development of nanotechnology.
The aim of the NNI is to move nanotechnology discoveries from the laboratory into new products for commercial and public benefit, encourage more students and teachers to become involved in nanotechnology education, create a skilled workforce and the supporting infrastructure and tools to advance nanotechnology and to support the responsible development of nanotechnology. For an in-depth look at how the NNI guides and facilitates the achievement of this vision, see our Strategic Plan.