- Nanotechnology 101
- Nanotechnology and You
- About the NNI
- What is the NNI?
- Nanotechnology-Inspired Grand Challenges
- Nanotechnology Signature Initiatives
- The NSET Subcommittee
- NSET's Participating Federal Partners
- Working Groups & Coordinators
- Contact Information
- National Nanotechnology Coordination Office (NNCO)
- Collaborations and Funding
- Federal Funding & Infrastructure
- Nanotech Challenges
- Business Development
- FAQs for Business
- Publications and Resources
A nanometer is one billionth of a meter. (A meter is 39.37 inches, or slightly longer than one yard.) The prefix “nano” means “one billionth”, or 10-9, in the international system for units of weights and measure. The abbreviation for nanometer is "nm."
For visual examples of the size of the nanoscale, see The Size of Nano.
Stay Connected with the NNI
Sign up for Email Alerts and Updates.